Friday, June 27, 2008

Field Setup




Using the bicycle as a base for plein aire painting has its advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages
  1. Bicycles can go where cars cannot.
  2. Gas prices are irrelevant!
  3. There is never a problem finding a place to "park".
  4. I feel more in tune with my surroundings and better able to recognize creative possibilities.
Disadvantages
  1. I'm at the mercy of the weather (that's what raincoats are for).
  2. Limited to what can be transported (keeps things lean).
  3. Requires some physical effort (so does painting).
  4. Range is somewhat limited (less likely to waste time wondering what's around the next curve).
I'm sure my list is not exhaustive and it may be just a little bias, but hey, that's what blogs are for!

I use a pannier (saddle bag), to haul supplies and mount the pastel box on the back rack with small bungee chords (I bored small holes in the sides of the metal pastel box to accept the bungee chords). Although I bought a two-prong kickstand, I've found placing a chord around the handlebars and staking the two ends in the ground, is the most secure way to hold the bike in place. A velcro strap is placed round the front wheel and frame to stabilize the wheel (see photo). The corners of the small drawing board were rounded off so it would fit better into the pannier and not interfere with pedaling. I am sure there will be additions as time goes on. but for now, this setup seems to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment