Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 30

What a blessed day! It started with a visit to First Church of the Nazarene, Great Falls. Boy did I time my visit right! They were celebrating graduations with a full breakfast for everyone! Never mind that I'd already eaten at camp, the smell of bacon will always get my mouth salivating. I think I was the last to stop eating. And before service started someone offered to let me stay in the church for the night. They even have a shower (not that I need one. I had one just yesterday). Jim, the director of the local homeless shelter, gave the message on "No Excuses" from Romans 2:1-11. I'll think twice before I judge someone else again!

After service I went directly to the CM Russell Museum. Russell, a native of St. Louis, MO, lived and worked in Great Falls. It was a thrill to see so many of his drawings and paintings under one roof and then be able to walk next door to view his studio and home complete with original furnishings. This man truly captured the American West as it was disappearing.

If that wasn't enough I then headed for the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center, a few miles away, on the shores of the Missouri. Along the way I marveled at the power of nature as I watched the massive flow at the Black Eagle Falls and Dam. This was one of the five waterfalls The Corp of Discovery was forced to portage around on their way up the Missouri.

The Interpretive Center did not disappoint. It was pact with interesting details about the journey, focusing especially on the great sacrifices made by everyone in the party during the portage. I am constantly reminded how selfless each individual was as they fought for a shared goal.

One more mission to accomplish... EAT! Because Marilyn had expressed concern about my weight loss, I wanted to put her mind at ease so I chowed down at Golden Coral and I have the photos to prove it.

A great day. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Tomorrow's goal is Lincoln, MT, on the way to Missoula.

Miles: 18 (in town)
Total: 2,020

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day from start to finish. I am esp. jealous of seeing the Russel museum and studio.

    ReplyDelete